Dictionary Updates After 0000004K - Recorder 6 v6:30 up (Quick link to files)
Updates from 0000004L are in a new format and will not work with the old dictionary update software. For many users this new approach will be a major improvement as IT support will not be needed to run the updates.
You are strongly advised to keep the dictionaries in Recorder 6 updated to the most recent version. The R6 dictionary is based on the UK Species Inventory maintained by the NHM and is the same dictionary in a slightly different format as used by the NBN Atlas, Indicia and some other systems. You must backup the R6 database before doing the update. Queries and issues should be posted on the Forum. For many users this will be a major improvement as IT support will not be needed to run the updates.
We now strongly advise that users update to R6 Version 6:30 before attempting dictionary upgrades from 0000004L up.
It is possible for users of Recorder 6 Version 6:26 to 6:29 to continue to upgrade their dictionary. This requires a separate update program Dictionary_Upgrade V5. Users on R6 Versions prior to v6:26 cannot update their dictionary beyond 0000004K.
Preparation for Update: (Applies only to R6 v6.30 or above )
- If you are dictionary 000004K then before running the new process for the first time, run Report Dic2 Statistics. It should be available Reports/System Supplied/Dictionary. If not it can be downloaded from XML Report Dic2 (click for more) . This should report the following for a dictionary up to 0000004K. If it does not please see Dictionary Out Of Step. Taxon_List = 244, Taxon => 311,368 ,Taxon Version = 317,443,Taxon List Item = 607,848,Organism = 119,626 .( Note := Taxon may be greater on some systems, but should not be less).
- Create a folder to hold the upgrades. This can be on a workstation or on a server, but make sure you have both read and write access to the folder.
- Download the upgrade files you need from this link Dictionary Update Files You can download either the zipped version or the unzipped version. Place the file in the folder created above and unzip the file to this folder if required. The folder can contain both the zipped and unzipped version, but only the unzipped version with the .sql extension is required and there is no need to delete any already processed. With the first update in this format there are 5 separate upgrades contained in the zipped file. This will not normally be the case and is only necessary as part of the transition from the old version of the Dictionary Update Kit (v4). Each upgrade file needs to be run separately. If you have more than one to run then only run the indexes after the last upgrade.
Requirement for running the Update:
This process can only be used if :-
- You have upgraded to Recorder 6 - v6.30 .
- Your dictionary version is 0000004K (or later)
- You have registered with Recorder 6 Steering group and have a Licence key covering the current financial year.
- The user running the upgrade from within Recorder 6 must have System Manager Admin permission on Recorder 6.
Note:- If you are on a version of R6 before 6.26 then no further dictionary upgrades will be possible. If your dictionary is not up to 0000004K or above then you must first use the old software to upgrade to 0000004K. Check your version of R6 and Dictionary Updates from within Recorder 6 using Help/About Recorder 6.
Running the Update from within Recorder 6 (applies only after v6.30)
- Log into R6 (System Manager). This can be on any workstation running R6.
- Backup the database using R6 Backup or ensure that you have a backup available.
- Open menu ‘Tools/Database tools’ and select Update Dictionary.
- A window will open showing the current update - must be 0000004K or above. Click OK
- At the next window select the folder where the next dictionary update can be found. R6 will remember this so you can use the same folder every time. Block size can be altered - click for more info.
- Enter the Steering Group Licence key and click on OK (8 character alpha numeric with no letters ‘I’ or ‘O’ ). Note that a licence key is only valid for a financial year.
- There is a progress bar which updates for each table being processed. Do not be concerned if nothing appears to be happening. It is best to not use the machine for anything else while the update is running.
- When offered the option to rebuild the indexes click on ‘Yes’ if this is your last update. Otherwise click ‘No’. You can also select ‘No’ here for the last update and build the indexes manually later. If you do select ‘Yes’ then avoid using the machine for other processing until the index rebuild is complete.
- Open menu ‘Tools/Database tools’ and select Update Dictionary and repeat the process until all updates have been processed. From Recorder v6:31 on there will be no need to process each file separately.
- You are advised to run XML Report Dic2 and check the results against those provided. If they differ restore from backup and seek advice.
Errors and Problems
- The process writes a log file ‘Dictionarylog.txt’ to the location of the update file. Refer to this if the process fails part way through.
- Report any errors on the forum and supply the log file.
- Restore from the backup taken prior to the update.